Friday, November 11, 2005

New York Doll

Yesterday I had a wonderful experience. I watched a documentary.

A documentary?

Yup. POWERFUL!

New York Doll.

The story of a guy's life. Arthur 'Killer' Kane.

Member of a Rock Band in the early 70's called the New York Dolls, he hit rock bottom after the band broke up in 1975. The movie documents the influence the band had and how the band got together for a reunion concert at London's Royal Albert Hall last year.

The power of the story isn't about his comeback. Instead, the story demonstrates the power of the gospel in changing a man's life.

That's right. Arthur Kane joined the church in 1989. However, he testified that the biggest change came when he was called to work in the Los Angeles Family History Center in 1998. It also illustrates the power of worthy bishops and a good hometeacher.

This is a movie that you can't miss. You have to see it. It is only in limited release. It won't be around for long. I will buy it if it ever comes out on DVD.

It is playing at the Salt Lake Film Society, 111 East 300 South, at least through Thursday, 17 November. Times: 1:30, 3:30, 5:30, 7:30 and 9:30.

Go see it.

PS. Stay seated for the credits - as Arthur's bandmates perform A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

New York Doll was fantastic.

Shi said...

I concure I think the movie was fantastic, and very moving. I think I will try to see it with my husband...