Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Jitters

I had a great idea.

Last year I bought a refurbished laptop. Sometime (I'd have to consult my journal) in the intervening time, my Dad gave me his old desktop machine. Since the desktop had a larger hard drive, I began using that one at home.

Meanwhile, I had my 256 mb thumb drive to keep my current documents and I was given a 40 gig pocket drive to use at work. The pocket drive has everything on it: data, music, documents. My whole library.

Long story short: I began leaving my laptop at home.

Oh, the guilt.

Last month the thought occurred to me: maybe the refurbishers would do a two-for-one trade, my desktop and laptop for a better laptop.

I let the idea roll around in my head for a while. Eventually I began to think of it as a good idea and mentioned it to her. Even she thought it might work.

Two weeks ago I called the computer shop. I made my pitch. Vic thought he could do it. He even mentioned a 17 inch screen on my upgrade. Ooooh, baby.

Two Saturdays ago we took the machines in to the shop. I had to remind Vic of our conversation. He still thought it'll go. Said he'd probably have something for me by Tuesday. Last Tuesday.

Well, I was out of town 'til Thursday night, last week. I called Friday. Vic hadn't been able to find a suitable upgrade for me. Call again Monday. I did.

Monday he said he'd found a couple of good possibilities. I asked him to order one for me. I've been without a computer at home for over a week. I'm going into withdrawal.

Thank heavens my folks and my sister had given me a tough puzzle to put together, "Picky, Picky": 1000 pieces, close-up of a mound of multi-colored toothpicks. I've been able to work on that instead of computering. I put in the final 20 pieces of the puzzle last night.

Monday evening I even told my dad what I'd done with his computer.

I'm waiting for a call from the shop.

No comments: