Thursday, July 14, 2005

Bus Life

He got on the bus this morning and promptly sat down next to a lady. She's been riding for the past few weeks. Him, I've seen around for a couple years. They spoke together for the entire bus ride. At least, they spoke together the entire time I was awake.

This is the way it has proceeded in the past:
  • He will engage in conversation with his seat mate for a while, several days, anyway.
  • He will begin sitting with her on the trip home, too. Talking.
  • Eventually, he will begin getting off at her bus stop.
  • They will then sit closely together.
  • There will be bus-time hugging, whispering and giggles.
  • After about three weeks he will start taking busses at a different time than she does.
  • I won't see him for a space of several months.
  • She won't be so smiley.

I've witnessed this process several times now. From him and another guy.

For the past twelve years, I've been riding the bus. At this point, I am a solitary traveler. I shower regularly. I do use deodorant. I pile my brief case and packages on my lap. I smile.

Well, a co-worker/co-bus rider told me the other day that he noticed I'd been scowling. He thought I was mad at him.

Nah.

Generally, when I have a serious look on my face, I'm contemplating the silly things that I've done recently, figuring what I should do to avoid repeating the idiocy. Thankfully, the Lord is patient and forgiving.

Last year I sat to have a picture of my aura taken. The aura guy had me close my eyes and visit a safe, peaceful place. We walked around Nauvoo for a while, until I was quite relaxed. He told me, when I was ready, to open my eyes. I opened my eyes with a relaxed smile on my face and he took my picture.

The picture of my aura was interesting, but the thing that it illustrated best to me is: I don't smile when I'm relaxed. I wasn't actually scowling, but my face muscles were nowhere near a smile configuration.

My natural facial composure is much more serious than I feel it should be. Since then, I've made it a point to do my best, everyday, to greet people with a grin. They don't quite know how to figure me out.

That's okay, because I haven't finished figuring me out, either.

3 comments:

Silverboh said...

I'm the same way dad. Peopel are always thinking that I'm mad at them. I try to smile, but it feels awkward if I am not laughing or really happy. Though I do try to at least smile for a second when I walk by people and say good afternoon. I think the only time that I can keep a smile on my face fairly constantly is when I am working at grandpa's store.

Silverboh said...

I wish I could edit comments, cause I don't spell very well.

Shi said...

Bah we don't care about spelling here... ;D

I find it helps to just pretend that you are really happy or think of the last thing that made you really happy and that will help you get a smile on your face. Love you alls