Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Entertainment

Last night, after much encouragement and an abortive attempt on Friday, we watched "Phantom of the Opera" at the local theater. I had to go to the manager a few minutes into the showing and tell them they were using the wrong lens. We weren't seeing the whole picture. Thankfully, she ran to the projection room and made things right.

The film left me bemused. My wife and daughter were dumbfounded by my reaction. I spent the evening and my dreams trying to figure out why the story didn't lift me like I'd expected. The story ended right: folks made the correct decisions, the Viscount wasn't killed, Christine was allowed to go with him, the phantom apparently didn't stalk her any more...

Still, as I talked and thought, I wondered about manipulation and unrighteous dominion. The movie only illustrates a small segment in the characters' lives. Obviously, the Phantom had practiced hypnotism and mind control on Christine throughout her life and throughout the movie. She didn't really know who her "Music Angel" was. I wondered: who is the father of Madame Giry's daughter? How had Madame Giry been coerced over the years? Had she a better reason to purchase the music box? She was a seemingly willing accomplice to the Phantom's exploits.

The movie mad me sad: sad for the Phantom's wasted life, unchosen alternatives, unfulfilled potential, his choices to force others to do his will. It didn't illustrate the joy of the Viscount's life together with Christine.

Yes, it's a wonder that Christine was able to overcome. She was able to remove herself from a highly manipulative environment. Too many women don't do that. Unrighteous dominion is evil. There is no story that justifies abuse, coersion, force, manipulation. That Christine was able to see through the hypnotic lies the Phantom sang to her is a triumph.

That being said, I recognize that the movie fulfills my naive definition of good entertainment: it made me look beyond the surface, examine myself and my feelings, my world. It was a good experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's why I wanted you to go see it. It made me think about so many things and want to understand not only the story but myself in a better way.