Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Hanging around

There they were again. I'd seen them yesterday when I went to cash my check: hanging from the top of the 20 story office building. They were each sitting on a board, attached to a single rope strung from the building top. Cleaning supplies strapped on, squeegee in hand and a double suction-cup handle to help them. The sidewalk below was roped off to prevent pedestrians with earthbound gazes from walking into falling water.

Gotta hand it to them. They make it look fun. And graceful. Not only were they cleaning the windows, they were washing the entire building. Oh, my! Talk about not-quite-spring cleaning. You couldn't pay me enough to hang from a rope to clean a building. I wouldn't mind the cleaning part. It's the hanging around that gets me...I hope they're paid enough.

Meanwhile, last night I spent some of my earnings from teaching genealogy classes last week. I bought a desk like hers, after tracking one down, and got it put together in the front room. Now we can compute, back to back, in the front room. No longer will we have to walk back and forth, up and down stairs to talk to each other as we compute.

We also had dinner at Tony Roma's. Now I know why they're famous for ribs! They convinced me.

My database didn't grow yesterday. The first thing I did after setting my computer up on it's new desk was lose two games of scrabble. Hmm. I did copy the census returns from 1870 and 1910 for Millard County. Why copy the 1870 census, when I've already made a transcription? Reference. Did I transcribe everything that could be a clue? Doubtful. So, now I have digital images of the 1860, 1870, 1900 (poor), 1910, 1920 and 1930 census returns. Good stuff.

As I trolled the obits today I ran across the following in the Southern Utah News which reminded me that miracles still happen. Looking at the picture of Dallas and her lamb, I could see remnants of her tears of concern and her relief that prayers are answered. The poem by her grandma touched me:

The Miracle
By Myrna Cox

He walked through the front door
With a lifeless little lamb.
Placed the creature in our care,
Said, “ Save him, if you can.”

“He was born about an hour ago
On a heap of frozen clay
I suspect he will not live,
But - try to save him, anyway.”

Oh, the faith of a little child
Expressed in her voice today
“What about a blessing dad?”
“Do you think we ought to pray?”

So amidst the remedies
A simple prayer was said
A miracle revealed today!
As he raised his little head.

When you’re older, little girl
Remember, if you can
The miracle of faith and prayers
That saved - your little lamb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my son made what he thought was a joke one time.
he said "mary had a little lamb- she called him 'Jesus'-
dad, do you have something in your eye?"
i wish i could write poetry like that.