Friday, January 13, 2012

No Camera

It's been a beautiful, crisp morning. As I was on my regular break, approaching the park at the edge of the Jordan River, I heard some strange bird calls. I noticed a large bird flying across the park from south to north, but the sounds didn't seem to be coming from it. I saw large clumps in a couple trees. I figured they were nesting remnants.

When I walked across the entrance of the park, I glanced up at a tree to my left. To my surprise there was a large, stately bald eagle sitting there, about 30 feet up. I continued on my normal route, my heart full of thanks for the opportunity to have some face-time with that beautiful bird. I walked back to the base of the tree again.

This time I clicked a bit and Mr. Eagle paused in the survey from his majestic perch. He took a look my way. I thanked him for stopping by and a bit later, took my leave.

An SUV was entering the park as I walked toward the street. I waved the car to a stop and the driver hesitantly opened her window. I leaned toward her and gestured back to the tree.

"There's a bald eagle up there," I told her quietly.

She repeated my message to her passenger and they excitedly parked near the base of the tree.

When I returned to work, I mentioned the Eagle to my co-workers. I figured someone might want to go see, so I retrieved the camera from my cubicle.

A few minutes later we were back at the park. Getting out of the car, the lady in the SUV told us that the eagle had flown off towards West Vally City.

Her husband, a preacher, hadn't believed her when she first told him that she saw an eagle.

Maybe I'll carry a camera with me more often.

Still, I have some wonderful pictures in my head. Classics.

No comments: