Tuesday, November 08, 2005

New Jobs

The Library reorganization is taking place. One side benefit of this reoganization is that I finally became a permanent employee again.

Two years ago I came over here for a four-month, temporary assignment. As time passed and the assignment grew, my permanent job slot in the Engineering Division was sucked into the "Strategic Reserve".

I became temporary.

No change in pay scale. No change in benefits.

Only a couple problems:
  • If my job was cut from the services offered by the Library, I would no longer be employed
  • Since I didn't have a job slot, I couldn't be hired by any other Departments in the Division, because I would have to bring my slot with me as a transfer

I was, essentially, unemployable in most of the Department.

Hmmm.

Well, as of last month, I received a job slot.

Wahoo! I am an official employee of the Library, after a two-year temporary stint.

What a relief.

Now, as the reorganization rolls on, I've put my hat into the ring for consideration in a few different jobs. Who knows how things will shake out.

Change can be fun!

No comments: