Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Credentials

Today I did a counter shift from noon to 2:30 p.m.

Things were going along pretty smoothly. I'd been able to answer several questions with little problem.

A lady came up and asked if I new of an expert on early temple records. I asked, "Can I help you?"

She stated that she wanted to verify an ordinance date from the 1920's and that she wanted to look at the Family Group Record that had the original stamp on it.

I reminded her that Family Group Records were used to submit temple work from 1942 to 1970.

She was sure that the record she wanted was on a family group record, so I pulled out a listing of the microfilm collection of FGR's and suggested she find the film that corresponds to her family name.

She asked for another reference consultant by name. I found the consultant list and saw that the consultant she'd asked for didn't have a shift today, so I told her where the consultant's office is located.

At that point I felt it necessary to establish my credentials. I told her of the positions I'd had previously, in charge of the system used to store ordinance data.

I don't do credentials very well. Never have. I have a tough time selling myself. Not that I am not qualified, I just don't do self-promotion well.

I especially don't like to bring up my capabilities when my credibility has been challenged. The main reason being that I don't hold my emotions very well in that circumstance. The lady knew that I was miffed. I tried to cover over my feelings by suggesting other resources to check, but the damage was done.

She soon left and I didn't think to apologize until some 15 minutes later, after she was long gone and I'd helped another patron.

Now I have to apologize the hard way: make sure that I am always helpful and try not to challenge another's assumptions. That last will be a long row to hoe. Especially when I want to help teach folks how to get their answers efficiently and effectively.

Pride is a difficult master to overthrow. It manifests in far too many subtle ways.

No comments: