Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Moose for V-day

Hopefully, I don't need a greeting-card day to help her know how much she means to me. Still, societal pressure exudes it's influence.

At lunch time I went looking for the "right thing". I'd looked for flowers last week at a Wal-Mart. They ALL had brown edges. I asked her, would she have liked flowers that had brown edges? Nope. I had that one figured pretty well.

So, I wasn't really looking for flowers yesterday. My first thought was, "Music Boxes". She likes them and I've helped her collection grow over the years. But I couldn't find any shops with music boxes. As I proceeded from shop to shop, I passed by the line of people waiting for Gladys Knight to autograph their CD's. I even saw Gladys for a few moments.

Went to another mall. Went downstairs, then up to the second level. I found a shop that might have music boxes, but the clerk said, "Nope, don't have any..." Still I looked around. They had a wonderful collection of Indian artifacts, mostly Navajo. The kachinas beckoned. Hmmmm. I'd given her a couple of kachinas at different times in the past few years. My possibilities began to expand. Still, I continued around the shop, looking at the cool stuff.

Near the front I saw the moose. Now, we have a moose cookie jar and candy dish. And there on the shelf were a few pieces that matched the jar and dish: salt and pepper shakers and a spoon rest. Together they were the price of a good sized kachina. And I hadn't gotten her moose before. The decision made itself. Moose for v-day. I bought some wrapping paper and bows at the dollar store, wrapped them at my office.

The evening was spent running updates on the 232 computers in the library. She babysat the bubs while his parents went on a date. So it worked out good. She came and picked me up when I was finished with the computers. I got to play with the bubs and watch him skootch around, not quite crawling yet. The parents got back by 10 or so.

She liked the moose.

It was a good day.

No comments: