Thursday, May 19, 2005

Memory

Yesterday I went in for a "procedure". Strictly diagnostic, and, happy to say, yielded a clean slate. No worries.

The odd part of the experience came a little later. My wife told me that after the nurse had walked me out to the waiting area, she joined me and we went into an office where the doctor gave me a clean bill of health.

Well, I remember falling asleep, waking in the recovery room, following the nurse's suggestions, having my IV removed and being told I could put my clothes on. The next thing I remember is walking out of the building with my wife.

No walk with the nurse. No visit to a doctor's office. Certainly no discussion of fudge, though she says he mentioned fudge twice in the 5 minute conversation I don't remember.

Eerie.

I don't like holes in my memories. I spent time last night trying to recapture the lost moments. I almost remember putting on my clothes. I do remember asking her when we were driving if I had put on my under shirt. Putting on clothes is an important activity. I wasn't in a hospital gown when we got to the truck, so I guess I had successfully performed that task.

It would be disquieting to have holes in my memories regularly. Since that is one of the reported effects of adult beverage consumption, I'll continue to consume childish beverages.

No comments: